Thursday, January 31, 2013

Losing Inhibition

My mom taught me how to shake my booty. Literally. When I was little, my mom would turn on music and we would have dance parties in the kitchen where she taught me how to shake my hips. It is absolutely one of my favorite memories of growing up. Well, last night it finally worked out for my mom and I to take a zumba class together. I've done zumba a few times and I was telling my mom how much she would love it.

My mom has never taken a zumba class before. But halfway through the class she was picked out by the instructor and shakin it in the middle of the circle. Seeing her out there working it, it reminded me of a quality that I admire so much in my mom. It's also one that I'm insanely jealous of. Whatever she does, she does 100%. She doesn't care what anyone thinks of her. She dances like she's the only one in the room. She has absolute confidence in herself.

Man, that is something that just is hard for me. It's hard for me to dance without inhibition, like nobody is watching.  I don't know if it has anything to do with my shyness or if it's a fear of putting myself out there and not being right. Most likely it is a combination of both. I hope to improve upon it some. I had fun, but I think my mom had twice as much fun as I did. Maybe my mom and I will take our new moves to the club.

Probably not. We'll just have to save them for our kitchen dance parties.





No comments:

Post a Comment