Monday, January 21, 2013

Be the Change.

I've had a kind of bizarre week. Here's a couple of stories for ya Ags (and non Ags)

If you know me well, you will know that I have a bad rep when it comes to driving. I used to drive aggressively and speed like a crazy person. Due to my commuting back and forth all the time, I've mellowed out. I realized that I'll get there when I get there. During the past couple of weeks, I've had a couple of frustrating driving incidents. I'll tell you one of the stories. I was driving down to Houston in the left lane. I was only going five over and I was in the middle of nowhere. Out of the blue, this truck came roaring up behind me and tailgating me. He is a middle aged man, balding, and in a button down surely there must be an emergency. He was flashing his lights and gesturing like a crazy person. I got over as soon as I could. Of course, he raced around me laughing. Well a little bit later, I was back in the left lane and I saw him going a bit slower in the right lane. As I started to pass him, he swerved into the left lane almost hit me and then got back over. I look over as I pass him and he's laughing manically and flips me off. I was shaken up and so what do I do when I'm shaken up? I call my mom and just cried a little bit. This was the second incident I've had recently where somebody nearly hits me on purpose and flips me off. It just blew my mind that people could be so cruel and endanger other people.

My second story is one that is humorous and frustrating at the same time. Today as I was walking in from Houston I bent down to see my dogs beside the pool. I set my stuff down as I standing back up, my phone fell into the pool. Yep, into the pool. The deep end. Everything moved in slow motion. I kicked off my shoes and jumped in after it. The pool is a tad bit chilly this time of year. My phone is currently sitting in a bag of rice (hopefully) drying out but the prognosis is not good.

Frustrating stuff.  I've really had to check my attitude. There's already so much negativity in this world. There's already unkind people. I can't add to it by gesturing back to the mean guy driving or let my phone ruin my day. I'm trying really hard. It's not easy. I'm  attempting to remind myself of the sayings "Kill them with kindness" "Be the change you wish you see in the world" "What's the worst that could happen?" There are going to be mean people in this world and people that cause harm but I can counteract it by attempting to be kind and adjusting my attitude. I'll admit, it's a work in progress because I may or may not be currently drinking a glass of wine and pouting over my phone.



No comments:

Post a Comment