Thursday, January 17, 2013

Splurging and Purging

Writing that title, I realized it sounds like an eating disorder when in fact I was speaking metaphorically.   Today was a hectic day. The advocacy center is moving buildings so instead of seeing clients we were packing up boxes all day. Then I get home and guess what I get to do? Pack up my room because we're getting new flooring in the house.

Let me tell you, I'm a bit of a pack rat. My dad said that my room clean up should have been filmed for an audition tape for hoarders. I mean I knew my room was crowded but I liked my stuff. (Plus, when you're a starving graduate student you try to cram all of your stuff into your room until you finally have a job and get your own place.) I didn't want to take the time to reorganize. Organizing along with crafts  are not on my list for "fun things to do" but sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.

 My room is officially organized and ready for new flooring and only one box fell on my head as I was trying to lift it to the top shelf of my closet. All in all it was a successful day.

I gotta tell you though, manual labor is not my forte. I am exhausted. I decided since I worked so hard, I deserved a little treat so I went up to Kroger and bought a pint of ice cream. Now, I had the full intention of only eating a third of that pint. I've been successful in the past at this. Tonight I was not successful. I looked down and realized I ate the entire thing. OOPS.

Hence, splurging and purging. And I'm ok with it. One pint of ice cream won't define me. It just can't become a habit. Part of loving myself is realizing that I'm going to mess up or do silly things but it can't ruin my day. A box falling on my head or eating a pint of ice cream isn't the worst thing that could happen to me today. Not even close.




No comments:

Post a Comment