Thursday, August 9, 2012

What my pets have taught me about life.

So lately I feel like I'm bordering on sounding semi-preachy which I would never want to do and was not the intention of this blog! I never want to appear like I'm up on my high horse telling everybody what they should do. Ever. So I'm sorry if it has come across that way in the least. My true purpose is to share stories and my experiences as I'm going through a period of growth in my life.

So I decided to do a light hearted post today. A few weeks back I posted an article from Real Simple where readers submitted what their pets taught them about life. The thing is though, I never shared what my pets have taught me! And I'm sure all of you know that I'm absolutely crazy about all of my dogs. So here it goes.

Meet Gretchen:
Gretchen is my very first dog ever. We got her when I was in the 7th grade. She is a 12 year old mini schnauzer. We usually find Gretchen sitting in the dining room keeping watch on the front yard. She is fiercely protective. She is a beautiful dog and very prissy. She is also the alpha female of all the dogs. They know not to mess with her. Gretchen has some slipped discs in her back but she never lets them get her down (except when she doesn't get to go on walks that makes her MAD). Gretchen has taught me a lot about life. I learned how to care for another being. More importantly though Gretchen has shown me that even when you're hurt you can bounce back no matter how old you are. Also, that family is worth protecting, greeting, and showing your love to even if they were only gone ten minutes.

Meet Chrissy:
Chrissy is our second mini schnauzer. We got her the summer before I left for college. My parents got her for my brother since I was going off to school. I always like to joke that my parents got a dog to replace me. Chrissy is just about the sweetest dog you will ever meet. You can even see it in her eyes. She is gentle, loving, and loyal. Chrissy was with Tyler when he passed away. She laid down and never once left his side. Chrissy taught me that you never ever leave those you love. Even during the hardest and saddest times you stay by their side and support and love them til the very end. Whew. Tears. I love this dog so very much. 

Now time for some laughs. Meet Sully:
 Sully is our newest addition to our family and has stolen all of our hearts. I'm not going to lie, I was against getting Sully. I thought we had our hands full with enough other stuff and didn't need something else to care for. But the minute he was brought into our house, he has brought light and laughter. He is the biggest klutz I've ever met. I'm pretty sure he thinks he is either a border collie or a mini schnauzer. He leaps into the air to catch balls but then slams into the wall or cabinets or lands on his head and knocks himself out (true story). You will either see him sleeping with his tongue hanging out or going full speed playing or getting into any mischief he can find. Sully has taught me that you can bring a smile to someone's face just by being yourself. He has also taught me that I should always try to have as much fun as possible and that sleep is a really good thing.

Well, those are my dogs. They are a constant source of joy and I'm lucky to have three awesome ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment