Saturday, December 22, 2012

That's What Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown

So I was talking to a friend not too long ago and he was telling me how he wasn't a big fan of Christmas. You should have seen the face I made. It was a "Whaaaaaaaaat?! How could possibly not like Christmas?!" face. After I regained my composure, he explained himself and what he made a lot of sense. It also made me question why I like Christmas so much. He explained that it seemed like to him that society gets so wrapped up in the presents and the selfishness of the holiday and how it is overly commercialized.

After he said this, I really had to think about why I liked Christmas so much. I'm not going to lie, I love giving people presents. I loved doing all of my favorite Christmas traditions so much so I forget why we even celebrate Christmas in the first place. We celebrate Christmas because God loved us so much that He sent His son for us. It reminds me of a Charlie Brown Christmas. The whole theme of that movie is reminding us of the very same thing. I think Linus said it best of all.

"Linus: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"
[Linus picks up his blanket and walks back towards Charlie Brown]
Linus: That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."
So this Christmas I'm going to hold my family and friends a little closer and enjoy spending time with them.  I'm resolving not to get so wrapped up in the presents that I forget what Christmas is really about. God's love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment