Friday, December 7, 2012

SelfCare

So yesterday was nuts. Thursdays usually are but yesterday in particular drained me physically and emotionally. I had the most intense session I've experienced in my short time counseling. I was helping my client with her anger. Out of nowhere, all my personal emotions came up regarding Tyler. After Tyler's death I was so angry. I know that's a stage of grief but it's the main thing I had to work through. I was so angry at things I couldn't control. I remember buying boxing gloves and a mat and just beating the crap out of it. So if you're angry and need to let it out, let me know and you can borrow my stuff. Believe me, it feels good. 

Anyways, I was talking to my supervisor about it. She knows about Tyler so I was telling her how that session brought up some things for me emotionally because I was identifying with my client so much. My supervisor without blinking an eye asks me, "So how are you going to take care of yourself tonight?". Man I needed to hear that. While I'm at my internship, I go non-stop but when I got home last night I was drained. I took care of myself by taking a bubble bath, drinking a glass of wine, and writing in my journal. 

We work so hard as a culture. We set high expectations for ourselves and do everything in our power to achieve them. What we're bad at as a culture? Taking care of ourselves along the way. Usually we use the excuse "I don't have time". You do have time. Take five minutes and pet your dog or stretch. Drink a hot cup of tea. If you have longer, go exercise or take a bath. Write. Read. Watch a corny movie. Treat yourself to whatever you enjoy that clears your mind. Treat yourself especially after you've had a long day or week or month but also try to take care of yourself everyday. You deserve it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment