Friday, November 30, 2012

Knowing when to call it

So I had my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I only had two so I figured it would be no big deal. I thought I could take it easy and then go to my internship on Wednesday. I went on Wednesday and yea I was swollen but I thought I would be fine. Thursday I woke up and was in pain but stubbornly decided to go to my internship again. I mean I HAD to get my hours right?

Well, halfway through my day Thursday my jaw was throbbing and it brought tears to my eyes just attempting to open my mouth to put the spoon in. Needless to say, I got sent home from my internship and didn't go to class that night. I got home and I just cried. I was frustrated, scared, exhausted, and in pain. I went in to the doctor today and it turns out my socket was infected. I'm going to save the gory details. I'm already feeling better. I've gotten a couple of good lessons from all of this though.

Lesson number one: Take care of yourself. I was so hyper focused on getting my hours that I didn't stop to take care of myself. If I had taken the day off on Wednesday, then I would have felt better. If I had taken the time to do my rinses and put ice on my socket then I could have avoided the infection all together.

Lesson number two: Never be afraid to let people take care of you. I was trying so hard to tough it up and not let any one see my weakness. I wanted to show I was strong. When I finally let my parents know how bad I was hurting, there was already a huge relief. I'm so thankful they were there and around to help take care of me.
Salt water also helps to cure sockets. Just FYI.

Saw this quote the other day and just had to share it. Love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment