Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Daddy

If you know me pretty well, you know I make a big deal out of birthdays. Well today is an especially big one because it's my dad's 50th!

Well this entry is dedicated to him. I know a few posts ago I shared excerpts of a letter that he had written me which had words of wisdom. Today I'm going to share some qualities and things I've learned about him by just being in his presence the last 24 years. :)

1. Always try new things. My dad loves learning new things. A few years ago, he decided he wanted to learn how to become a football official. He studied and learned how do it and has slowly worked his way up to calling varsity games for 5A schools. He has found a hobby he loves just by trying something new.

2. Always do your best. If my dad decides he is going to do something he ALWAYS does his best. He tries to do his best with football every game, in work, and doing things for others. Over the years he has gently reminded me to do my best in whatever I do. (I tend to do things quickly just to get them out of the way)

3. Never take yourself too seriously. My dad loves to crack jokes. He is seriously one of the funniest people I know. I love that we have a relationship that we can laugh and joke with each other. He never ceases to make me laugh. He has no problem acting silly anywhere and he just brightens up a room.

4. Keep things in perspective. One of my favorite phrases that my dad has said to me over the years is "What's the worst thing that could happen?" I tend to be a worry wart and he has kept me grounded with that phrase. Usually the worst thing isn't even that bad and that would be a problem that we could conquer.

5. Put family first. I'm so lucky to have a dad that makes an effort to spend time with his family. I love our friday morning starbucks dates where I talk his ear off about everything under the sun. He always makes an effort to have breakfast with his brother and stop by his parents house. He is always there to listen, support, and encourage.

I could go on and on but I have to be in Dallas in a bit and my sweatpants and no make up won't cut it. Those are just a few of the qualities that I admire about him and I am very very blessed to have my daddy in my life.

Happy 50th!



















No comments:

Post a Comment