Sunday, October 7, 2012

Courage

When I was growing up, when I heard the word "courage" I immediately thought of knight in shining armor someone strong who literally fought for what they wanted. As I've gotten older, I've realized that courage comes in all shapes and sizes. I also have learned to re-examine my definition.

At my internship, I see kids who are incredibly brave facing remarkable adversity and having enough courage to talk to a complete stranger about it. I see friends who have the courage to pursue their dreams or the courage to make a change and although they are scared and unsure, they make that leap and go for it. I've seen it in my parents who in the middle of a tragedy had the courage to stay strong and lean on each other for support. I've also found some courage in myself.

The thing is though, I think we all have courage in us. And I think we all will to come to a point in our life where we're going to have to use it and we'll probably have to use it more than once. We may all display it in different ways. One person may literally decide to go fight for our freedom while another person has the courage to stand up for themselves. The next person may have the courage to make a hard decision.Another person may have the courage to make that big change while another person may have the courage not to let their circumstances define them but to empower them. Whenever that time comes for you, I hope you find your courage. It's there waiting for you.




One of Tyler's favorite quotes





No comments:

Post a Comment