Saturday, September 22, 2012

Are we there yet?!

I'll be the first to admit, whenever anyone mentions a road trip I am usually all for it. Just imagining how fun it'll be. Singing along to the radio, stopping at new and exciting places, etc. But every time I do go on a road trip I get three hours in to it and wonder why did I think this was a good idea?

I have to admit, that's kinda how I am on my personal journey right now to be honest. I'm tired and I think I've gone a great distance but I'm also humbled by the fact that I have a very long way to go and the truth is, I'll never get there. This whole life is a never ending journey.

I was humbled by this notion a couple of nights ago when I just had an absolute meltdown. Like an ugly crying meltdown. And while I was talking about it, I was reminded about how many areas of my life I need to work on. It was annoying yet cathartic all at the same time.

I have been running around the past month feeling like I need to prove things to people and prove things to myself. I put a tremendous pressure on myself and just admitting that the other night took such a weight off. Working through this issue is going to be a long journey in itself and hopefully I will remind myself of that idea when I feel like I'm never going to get there.

The first step in a journey can be an exciting one. But it can also be a scary one. But I think what's even harder than taking a first step in a journey is to not get discouraged or give up when you hit a speed bump. Life is full of speed bumps. But I think it is how you handle the speed bumps that make for good stories at the end of your journey. Honestly, I'm at a speed bump right now. Feeling a tad bit discouraged and as I would say "in a funk" but I know just the awareness of the problem is the first step. And right now, that's good enough for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment