Monday, July 8, 2013

Through Painted Deserts

So, I read another Donald Miller book. Yep, another. I think I'm running out of books though so this may be my last post about something I read by him.

Through Painted Deserts is Donald Miller's story about how he rediscovered his faith and what was important to him all while on a trip across country. It's pretty interesting and highly recommend it. I think part of the reason I enjoy his writing so much is because he writes about the deep things that we are all thinking but sometimes can't put into words. Here's some of my favorite quotes from this book all of it is good though so read it!

"And yet the chemicals in my brain that make me feel beauty when I look up at the stars, when I watch the sunset, indicate I must be here for a reason. I thin I would sum it up this way: life is not a story about me, but it is being told to me, and I can be glad of that."

"I think we are supposed to sleep in meadows and watch stars dart across space and time. I think we are supposed to love our friends and introduce people to the story, to the peaceful, calming why of life."

"....find some people who aren't like me and learn to love them, and do something even harder, let them love me, receive the love of somebody who doesn't share my faith system, who doesn't agree with me about everything, and I will sleep beneath the stars and whisper thank you to the Creator of the universe, as a way of reacquainting myself with an old friend, a friend who says you don't have to be smart or good-looking you just have to cling to Him, love Him, need Him, listen to His story." 

So in this age where we think that we need to be constantly going, achieving, getting things, take the time to stop. Take a breath. Listen. Enjoy what a beautiful world the Lord has created. We are all part of a bigger story. Think grandly. Love grandly. Appreciate what a gift this life is and be content with what you have now because we have everything need. God is faithful, He is good, and He provides.

Have a wonderful week!!



No comments:

Post a Comment