Thursday, July 31, 2014

Balancing Act

Well guys, last day of July. And I gotta tell ya, July wasn't so bad. I was sad and I missed Tyler, but I was overwhelmed with the amount of love I was shown throughout the month. I am so so blessed to have such a strong supportive community around me.

Speaking of support system, I was sitting at my community group last night and we got off on a tangent of busy-ness. We began discussing how it is so normal to constantly be doing something to the point of being overwhelmed and exhausted.

I think it is has become really easy for us to set a lot of really high expectations of ourselves. We are supposed to have successful important jobs, get married, have babies, be social with friends, stay fit, grow our own vegetables, only eat local/organic, have the cutest clothes, be really good at selfies (HA), have the cutest house, spend a whole sunday meal prepping for the entire month, I could go on and on.

And don't get me wrong, I think we can absolutely do it all. That is, if you really want to. I think the hardest thing to do, is staying balanced in the midst of it. To have a  really successful important job, you have to pour a lot of time and effort into it. So that may mean saying no to friend's invitations because you need to work/rest/etc or not having time to spend an entire day meal prepping for a month.

I feel like I am in the middle of learning this lesson. I have been pouring my heart and soul into growing my career and becoming the best counselor I can be. In the midst of it, I let other priorities slip. After some soul searching, I decided it was time to regain balance. So I'm in the process of discovering what I want on my plate, what's a priority, and what I can let go of. I love working out, it helps me stay sane. So that's going to stay on my plate. I would love to grow my own vegetables, but I don't have time and it's not a priority so maybe I'll stick to the good old grocery store. I think the trick too is taking care of ourselves in the midst of it all. As much as I love counseling, it can be draining at times. So spending time with my friends helps me re-fill my cup so I can pour into other people.

And I think that's the trick really. Evaluating what are the priorities and seeing if there are any modifications to make. And if modifications are needed, it doesn't mean you failed. It means you took care of yourself.

So here's to attempting to be superwoman. And giving myself grace if I can't quite do it all.








No comments:

Post a Comment