Monday, August 26, 2013

Perspective

So I don't like Mondays. Aside from the obvious reasons, I also spend the day at home working and getting ready for the week.  I feel like I'm the only one at home. (which I know isn't true) And although I'm working, I feel super antsy being in the house. Probably because I have so many other distractions. (Chrissy, coffee, etc)

And today is no different. I was sitting at my computer attempting to get some work done but I found myself completely unable to sit still. I finally decided to take a break and read a book for a while. I went outside and sighed because my backyard isn't super pretty yet. Eventually I plan to make it pretty but right now all I have is a big storage shed and a nice view of my neighborhood's backyard. I began to read then decided to lay down on the bench we have in the backyard.

The view from this direction was incredible. At least to me. I immediately put my book down. I realized that I was under the shade of a massive old tree. There was a soft breeze, just enough to make the leaves rustle. A butterfly fluttered by the branches. And I suddenly felt very small. I also felt like time had stopped and it helped me to finally sit still. And to be appreciative of my surroundings. I was all of a sudden incredibly grateful not to be stuck in a office but to be there in that exact moment taking a deep breath and appreciating the beauty of God's creation in my own (not pretty yet) backyard. It helped me gain some perspective. Not just in the literal sense but also in the metaphorical sense. It's a constant battle for me to slow down but I'm glad that I was able to take a break today, breathe deeply, and be grateful to be exactly where I am.

I find it incredibly helpful to gain different perspectives. I encourage you to try it too. It may just reaffirm your position or it may completely change your position. Either way seems helpful to me. Whether it is literally laying down and looking up instead of down or looking at your problem from a different angle, a new change of scenery could be refreshing.

My view laying down in my backyard



No comments:

Post a Comment