Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Let it Ride

I'm not gonna lie, I like to gamble. Slot machines, black jack, roulette, all of it. The thing about gambling though, is you have to know when to cut your losses and walk away. Or if you're feeling good, press your luck.

Funny thing is though, I'm not a risk taker at all in the rest of my life. I don't jump into things with reckless abandon. (Sometimes I wish I would though). I think why I like gambling so much is that I am ok with the consequences. I have a set amount of money and I know how much I'm willing to lose.

All of life is a gamble. You gamble with relationships, job opportunities, career decisions,deciding where to live, heck deciding whether or not to buy a dog or a cat.  One way I judge whether or not to make a gamble is something my dad taught me. Whenever I was trying to make a decision he would ask me "What's the worst thing that could happen?".If I'm not ok with the worst thing that could happen then I'm not going to take the risk.

I'm having to deal with this right now. I'm currently looking for an internship and I'm having to risk one potential placement just to try to get a different one. This is a big risk for me especially when I need to get an internship ASAP if I want to graduate in December. Of course, I hashed it out with my wise daddy. We weighed the options and he goes well "I would just let it ride." AH.  I've been fortunate this far so I'm going to press my luck a little further and hopefully it'll pay off. If not, I'll try again. At the end of the day, I'm going to have to trust in the fact that God has a plan and I'll be exactly where I need to be.

Gambling can make life exciting. It can produce great rewards but it can also bring big losses. And in the end, it ends up being a gut decision but being aware of the potential losses can definitely make that gut decision easier.

So I'm taking my daddy's advice and letting it ride. We'll see what happens.








No comments:

Post a Comment