Thursday, July 12, 2012

Comfort Zones

Comfort Zones. We all have them for a reason. They help us feel safe and secure. They let us enjoy things more because we are familiar with what the results will be.

For example, my comfort zone is predictability. I like knowing pretty much what the outcome of a situation will be. I like going to events where I know people. I like going to my usual starbucks because I know the baristas there. I like going a certain way to school because I know what the traffic will be like. Like my wise professor told me: "Predictability and consistency lead to safety"
Bottom line: I like feeling safe in my environment.

Bad thing about comfort zones? They can also hinder us. They keep us from living life to the absolute fullest. They keep us from taking in new experiences and learning new things. If we are willing and able to dip even just our pinky toe into the unknown, then we just might grow from that experience.

I learned that first hand on Wednesday.

My worst fear? Groups. Groups where I don't know anybody. My introverted nature  is not kind to big groups. I get flashbacks of being "the six year old quiet girl" and I suddenly turn into that quiet girl and subsequently feel incredibly awkward. and weird. and anxious. and panicky. My brain just shuts down.
A couple of months ago I decided to volunteer for a play therapy conference. The only reason I did was that a bunch of my friends did so I did too knowing full well I would know people there (predictability, consistency, safety). Welp, lo and behold, I was the only one selected to volunteer. Yikes. Cue worst fear. But I knew I had to go. Not only would I pass up an awesome conference that I got to go to for free but I also would be hindering myself. I knew I had to push myself to go. So I went. And yea, I was quiet and yea, I felt awkward. But you know what? I survived. I talked to people. I made connections. And guaranteed next time I'm thrown into a group with people I don't know, I will be a little less quiet and awkward than this time around.

If you are willing to take the chance, your comfort zone can and will expand. And when it does, you will have the satisfaction deep down knowing that you tried your best and the little glow of pride knowing that you aren't wasting this life you've been blessed with.

"We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today's possibility under tomorrow's rug until we can't anymore. Until we finally understand for ourselves what Benjamin Franklin really meant. That knowing is better than wondering, that waking is better than sleeping, and even the biggest failure, even the worst, beat the hell out of never trying."

1 comment: